Instrumentation and Electrical Technician
Company: NRG Energy, Inc.
Posted on: June 8, 2021
NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built
on the strength of our diverse competitive electric generation
portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 500
company, NRG creates value through best-in-class operations,
reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform
serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with
electricity customers large and small, we implement sustainable
solutions for producing and managing energy, developing smarter
energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail
electricity providers serve almost three million residential and
commercial customers throughout the country.
More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG
Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
The Instruments and Controls/ Electrician(I&E) technician is
responsible for the Instruments and Controls and Electrical
maintenance of the Middletown Power Generating Station Units and
auxiliary systems including both conventional steam units and
Combustion Gas Turbines. This position will require the successful
candidate to troubleshoot Instrument and Control problems as well
as Electrical Problems. This position will also require the
candidate to perform preventive, predictive and repair maintenance.
Normal work schedule is an 8-hour Monday -Friday shift. Overtime
work will be required as needed by plant conditions and business
- Ensure the completion of plant safety program activities and
that safety policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure compliance with all environmental permits and
regulations on a continuous basis and respond appropriately to
- Perform service and calibration of all primary instrument field
- Analyze and troubleshoot instrument and electrical equipment
issues and ensure the timely resolution of problems and interpret
computerized data collection systems.
- Be proactive with problem recognition, using independent
judgment to provide input on ways to resolve problems.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and repair all aspects of a control
system including digital, analog, DCS, Burner management, PLC's
(function block and ladder) and plant air systems.
- Troubleshoot Electrical Issues and make necessary repairs.
- Update plant prints and schematics.
- Upgrading and retrofitting plant instrumentation and electrical
- Service all valves and damper drives including pneumatic and
- Maintain, calibrate and repair all instrument final elements
including actuators, positioners, gauges valves, etc.
- Update files prints and calibration reports.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as needed.
- Respond in a timely basis after normal working hours to resolve
- Participate in the operating cross training program 2 weeks per
- Battery and inverter system maintenance
- Medium/High voltage system maintenance: Transformers, breakers,
- Motor operated valve (MOV) setup and maintenance
- Motor overhauls to include bearing replacement
- Basic rigging and mechanical knowledge
- Air conditioning system maintenance
- High School Diploma or the equivalent (GED)
- Electrical License or 4 years related industrial electrical
- Minimum of four (4) years' Instrumentation and
Controls/Electrical (I&E) experience in electric generation,
chemical plant or other large industrial environment or
- Working knowledge of control systems including: Distributed
Control Systems (DCS), Programmable Logic Controllers and
- Working knowledge of process condition sensing and transmitting
devices including: temperature, pressure, flow, level and
associated transducers and transmitters
- Must be self-motivated and possess knowledge of the principles
and practical application of steam generating units and combustion
turbine and related equipment operations and maintenance.
- Must have the ability to utilize and interpret computerized
data collection systems.
- Must have a good understanding of control systems and an
ability to identify and correct problems.
- Must have technical expertise in plant systems with proven
troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively both verbally
and in writing in English and possess working knowledge of personal
computers and applications including Microsoft Office.
- Must be able to physically access plant equipment and work in a
power plant environment including confined spaces.
- Must be able to understand and interpret drawings and
- Should be able to develop technical specifications with limited
- Must be able to maintain a positive and professional working
relationship with others and work in a team environment.
- Familiarity with any of the following Control platforms:
Woodward Monitor GAP, GE ToolBox ST, Eurotherm LinTools PAC,
Modicon Unity Pro, Foxboro IA, and AB RsLogix.
- Familiarity with any of the following HMI platforms: Woodward
iFix, GE Cimplicity, Wonderware, Foxboro FoxView GE Cimplicity,
Wonderware and Foxboro FoxView.
- Familiarity with Autodesk AutoCad drawing software
- Normal office environment and/or out of doors work environment.
This could include working at heights, high/low ambient
temperatures, and high humidity areas.
- Requires operation of a motor vehicle and valid Driver's
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting,
climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to
access, inspect and/or collect data on plant equipment.
- May require lifting as appropriate to perform duties and
- Work overtime and non-standard hours as required.
- Business area covers Middletown station Steam generators and
LM6000 gas turbines.
- Use of PPE (Personnel Protective Equipment), which may include
safety glasses, hard hat, protective footwear, ear plugs, safety
harness, respirator, etc.
- May be required to work around rotating and energized
equipment, hazardous materials, and chemicals.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To
the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective
bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug
testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and
alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the
applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
Keywords: NRG Energy, Inc., Middletown , Instrumentation and Electrical Technician, Other , Middletown, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!