Registered Nurse, Family Birthing Center
Posted on: September 14, 2023
The Registered Nurse of Maternity Services reports to the Clinical
Nurse Manager. - Utilizing the nursing process, provides high
quality direct and indirect patient-centered care. - Coordinates
patient care by working collaboratively with the interdisciplinary
team, patients and families. - Communicates, as appropriate, the
patient's clinical condition, responding quickly and accurately to
changes in condition or response to treatment. - Demonstrates
knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life
span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to
the patient population served. - Promotes the profession of nursing
and professional practice through collegial support and
- Graduate of an accredited school of Nursing.
- Current licensure in the state of Connecticut.
- Must have certification in ACLS, and NRP upon hire or receive
both certifications within a year after hire date and maintain
clinical competency during employment with ECHN in this
- Must have certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support upon hire
or receive certification within the new employee introductory
orientation period and maintain clinical competency during
employment with ECHN in this role.
- Must have Electric Fetal Monitoring Certification within a year
after hire date.
- Labor and delivery experience preferred.
- Able to communicate effectively in English - both verbally and
- Possesses basic computer skills
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Disclaimer: Job descriptions are not intended, nor should they be
construed to be, exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills,
efforts or working conditions associated with the job. - They are
intended to be accurate reflections of the principal duties and
responsibilities of this position. - These responsibilities and
competencies listed below may change from time to time.
- - - - - - - - - Job-Specific Competency
- Performs population-specific comprehensive assessments and
re-assessments of the maternal and newborn condition and care needs
including the psychosocial, physical, educational, cultural, and
- Assesses and reassesses pain. - Utilizes appropriate pain
management tools and techniques. - Educates the patient and family
regarding pain management. - Documentation reflects assessments,
interventions and evaluation of effectiveness.
- Develops and revises individualized plans of care as indicated
by assessment and patient response to treatment. - - Evaluates
overall plan daily for effectiveness. - Involves the patient and
family in the formulation of goals.
- Follows the five (5) medication rights and reduces the
potential for medication errors. Demonstrates knowledge of
medications and their correct administration based on age of the
patient and their clinical condition.
- Performs all aspects of patient care which includes Labor and
Delivery; Postpartum, Well Newborn, Scrub; Circulator; and Level II
Newborn in an environment that optimizes patient safety and
promotes positive patient outcomes.
- Documents the nursing process and responses to care in a timely
manner utilizing the appropriate tools.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function
under stressful situations. - Utilizes critical thinking skills and
sound judgment in priority setting and delegation.
- Formulates and implements a teaching plan for patients and
families based upon identified learning needs. Evaluates
effectiveness of learning.
- Demonstrates autonomous practice, consistent with
evidence-based standards. - Pursues personal and professional
growth and development. - Serves as a professional role model and
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and
development over the lifespan and the skills necessary to provide
age-appropriate care to patients served. Able to interpret data
about the patient status in order to identify each patient's
age-specific needs and provide care needed by the patient
- Provides an accurate and pertinent report of the patient's
condition for safe transfer of care.
- Demonstrates knowledge of fetal monitoring. Identifies FHR
patterns and responds appropriately. -
- Maintains fetal monitoring competencies by attending two (2)
strip reviews and/or one (1) fetal monitoring conference or
- Identifies early indications of inadequate newborn transition
to extra-uterine life and responds appropriately while supporting
the family unit.
Keywords: ECHN, Middletown , Registered Nurse, Family Birthing Center, Healthcare , Middletown, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!