Registered Nurse - Dual Diagnosis Unit
Company: Eastern Connecticut Health Network
Posted on: May 19, 2023
Utilizing the nursing process, provides high quality direct and
indirect patient centered care. Coordinates patient care by working
collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team. Communicates, as
appropriate, the patient's clinical condition, responding quickly
and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment.
Responsible for creating and maintaining a safe, structured and
therapeutic milieu, with age-specific behavioral management
practices. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and
development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide
age appropriate care to the patient population served. Promotes the
profession of nursing and professional practice through collegial
support and interactions. Reports to the Clinical Coordinator.
Creates a caring and compassionate environment through Core Values
of Teamwork, Respect, and Communication.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited school of Nursing and have
a current Registered Nurse license with the state of
- Must have certification in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
upon hire and maintain clinical competency during employment with
ECHN in this role.
- Must be trained in PMT and de-escalation techniques, as
prescribed by ECHN, and receive certification within 6 months of
hire into the role.
- Must be able to communicate effectively using the English
language in both verbal and writing situations.
- Must possess basic computer skills.
- Must be capable of taking swift and efficient action, including
patient restraint when responding to patient emergency codes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Disclaimer: Job descriptions are not intended, nor should they be
construed to be, exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills,
efforts or working conditions associated with the job. They are
intended to be accurate reflections of the principal duties and
responsibilities of this position. These responsibilities and
competencies listed below may change from time to time.
- Performs comprehensive assessments and re-assessments of the
patient's condition and care needs including the psychosocial,
physical, educational and cultural aspects as evidenced by
supervisor observation and chart audits.
- Assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management
tools and techniques. Educates the patient and family regarding
pain management. Documentation reflects assessments, interventions
and evaluation of effectiveness as evidenced by supervisor
- Develops and revises individualized treatment plans as
indicated by assessment and patient response to treatment.
Evaluates overall plan daily for effectiveness. Involves the
patient and family in the formulation of goals. Documentation
reflects assessments, interventions and evaluation of
effectiveness. Evidenced by supervisor review / observation.
- Follows the five (5) medication rights and reduces the
potential for medication errors. Demonstrates knowledge of
medications including psychotropic drugs and their correct
administration based on age of the patient and their clinical
condition as evidenced by chart audits and supervisor
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that
optimizes patient safety and promotes positive patient outcomes as
evidenced by supervisor observation.
- Documents the nursing process and responses to care in a timely
manner utilizing the appropriate tools as evidenced by chart audits
and supervisor observation.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function
under stressful situations. Utilizes critical thinking skills and
sound judgment in priority setting and delegation as evidenced by
- Formulates a teaching plan based upon identified learning needs
and evaluates effectiveness of learning, family is included in
teaching as appropriate as evidenced by chart audits and supervisor
- Practices autonomously, consistent with evidence-based
standards. Pursues personal and professional growth and
development. Serves as a professional role model and mentor as
evidenced by supervisor observation.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain a safe and therapeutic
environment as evidenced by observation of appropriate
interventions as well as patient, peer and supervisor
- Demonstrates clinical expertise, perceptiveness, empathy and
interpersonal warmth as evidenced by supervisor and peer
observation and feedback on Satisfaction Surveys. Displays and
promotes sensitivity to the privacy needs of psychiatric
- Effectively uses psychological and physical management
techniques to manage violent or potentially violent situations
consistent with PMT training as evidenced by peer and supervisor
- Participates in Early Response codes and Dr. Strong codes,
attendance at PMT refresher trainings.
- Demonstrates the abilities to effectively set limits with
patients and maintain appropriate professional and personal
boundaries as evidenced by peer and supervisor observation.
- Collaborates and communicates with all members of the treatment
team to effectively meet the treatment needs of the patient as
evidenced by feedback from treatment team members and supervisor
- Provides psychotherapeutic treatment to patients as evidenced
by documentation reflecting individual psychotherapeutic
interventions and documentation of nurse-led educational and
Keywords: Eastern Connecticut Health Network, Middletown , Registered Nurse - Dual Diagnosis Unit, Healthcare , Middletown, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...